Search This Blog

Monday, 16 January 2017

On Wodehouse


I sat with fingers poised over iPad, waiting to write whatever was next to come into my head. I suppose that if there were an obvious criticism of Herbert Quarry’s writing advice it was that you had to wait for something to come into your head before you could write about it. I read that PG Wodehouse never started writing a book until he’d got the entire story thought through, with a few hundred pages of detailed notes. I wouldn’t go quite as far as to call that cheating, but you’ve got to admit that it’s hardly cricket. When PG got to Chapter Forty there was no desperate crisis of inspiration for him- he just looked up what was in his hundreds of pages of notes and transcribed it into the manuscript. It’s hardly writing at all when you look at it that way. No wonder he never really got anywhere.

Where was I? Oh yes- fingers poised over iPad…

No comments:

Post a Comment

The words on this page are those of Professor Essay den Sushing. Google accepts no liability whatever for the consequences of those words however so caused.